If a qualified lead generation in a B2B marketing-for-leads program is to succeed, marketing, sales and corporate management need to part an incorporated definition of qualified sales leads. If all of them agree from the start on what a qualified sales lead is, the marketing team have a better chance of generating leads that will be valuable to the salespeople.
It’s important to verify the qualified-leads definition, in writing, with all parties. This definition is different for each company, so you must do some work to define the meaning of qualified sales leads at your company. Take as an example below.
Characteristics of a qualified sales leads
General questions that need to be answered to determine that a qualified sales leads include the following:
- Does the prospect have a need or an application for your product or service?
- What is the prospect’s role in the decision-making process?
- What is the prospect’s timing for purchase or implementation?
- What is the status of the prospect’s budget?
- What is the size of the opportunity?
However, further detailed criteria may be needed to define qualified sales leads at some companies. This starts with a company contact, who admits to a business problem, either latently or directly, that could be solved by a product and/or service you are selling.
In addition to having a business problem that your company’s products or services can solve, truly qualified sales leads must meet other conditions:
- They must have an established project in play. This is apparent if a task force has already been appointed to solve the problem or, for a small company, if the inquirer’s boss asked him or her to find a solution or make a recommendation.
- They already have or believe they can find the money to buy a solution to the problem. Or they are in the process of developing a budget.
- They plan to purchase within a reasonable amount of time.
- They have the power to get you in front of the appropriate final decision maker(s) when the time is right.
With marketing, sales and management all speaking the same language for qualified sales leads, everyone can pull together to target and nurture the most promising leads. And boost sales and revenue as the result.